business and industry








clothing/shoe factory






steam house


The Royal George

The Royal George is one of the oldest buildings in the village. The bottom lounge was erected in 1261 as a farmhouse and there are 'cruck beams' dating back to the 14th Century in the roof section of this building. The middle lounge area was built in 1500 and the building became a pub in 1780, the same time the Royal George flagship was commissioned. In fact, all the pubs that gained licenses in 1780 were named the Royal George! 

What is now the kitchen used to be a slaughterhouse, and the 1854 Post Office Directory lists the publican, Thomas Reynolds as 'Royal George and butcher'. The top part of the pub (now a restaurant) was built in 1920.


1841  Census - John Cooper (malster) and Charlotte Cooper (landlady)

1851  Census - Mary Reynolds (landlady). Family members listed as butchers

1854  Post Office Directory - Thomas Reynolds

1870s Kelly's Directory - Samuel Reynolds (innkeeper and butcher)

1881  Census - Samuel and Betsey Reynolds

1890  Kelly's Directory - No listing

1901  Census - Andrew Hobbs

1903  Kelly's Directory - Andrew Hobbs

1906  Kelly's Directory - Herbert Almond

1914  Kelly's Directory - Herbert Almond

The George was owned by a couple called 'Tom and Madge' before being taken over by Colin and Wendy Reed. Colin and Wendy built the walkway connecting the current pub with the kitchen and toilets in 1991. It is now owned and run as a freehouse by Kevin and Debbie Gibson.