The Methodist Church
outing was an annual event which took place every year on the first
weekend in August. The event was also known as 'Cottingham Feast' or the
Annual Anniversary or 'Treat'.
On August Bank Holiday
Monday, all the teachers and around 80 children from the Methodist Sunday
school would pile into a variety of farm wagons and, led by the
Chapel Brass Band, would tour
the surrounding villages where they were eagerly awaited by the local
folk. The outing always followed the same route - from Cottingham to the
Lodge gates at the top of Rockingham Hill. Passing through Rockingham
village they would go on to Caldecott, turn round and return via East
At each stop, the
children would enjoy pop, biscuits etc and the Band would entertain the
assembled company with selections from their extensive repertoire. After a
most enjoyable day the children and teachers would return to the Methodist
Schoolroom where the ladies would have prepared a sumptuous feast to
satisfy every appetite. Later on, competitive sports would be held on the
sports field near the Wallis
and Linnell clothing factory to round off the day’s activities.
It was the custom for all
the Sunday School pupils at learn special hymns and recitations for the
Sunday Services when every seat would be occupied by parents, friends and
visitors for the occasion.
The last Sunday School
outing was in 1939 just a month before the outbreak of World War II. With
the increase in traffic on the roads, the old custom could not be revived
after the War, but there are many folk who can recall very happy memories
of ‘going round in the wagons’ as it became known.
Pictured opposite (on Rockingham Hill) is one
of a group of wagons taking the children of Cottingham Methodist
Church on their annual outing in 1929.
On the second picture, note the name 'W Aldwinckle' on the side of
the wagon. The Aldwinckles were a
large, prosperous farming family in Cottingham, Middleton and Rockingham.
The last picture shows a motorised vehicle belonging to F Crane who ran
the garage and petrol station on Cottingham High Street.
With thanks to Cyril Licquorish for the above
information and many of the photographs