Until fairly recently (2003?), an old petrol
pump could still be seen on the forecourt of the former Crane's garage and
petrol station in High Street.
As well as petrol and vehicle repair, the
Cranes also used to offer a carrier service.
David Dodd tells us that, for a
charge of three old pence per item, Mr Crane would collect any item of
shopping from nearby towns (eg. Kettering was on Fridays).
Prior to this,
the 1903 to 1914 Kelly's Directories list
the village carriers as Thomas Claypole and Arthur Minns, running to
Kettering and Market Harborough - at that time by horse and cart. From
1854 to 1890, the service was provided by the Strettons.
The Cranes' lorry was also used to ferry the
Methodist Sunday School children 'round in the
wagons' on August Bank Holiday, taking over from the traditional horse