St Mary



Methodist Chapel





Methodist Chapel

See also Wesley GuildCottingham Wesleyan Brass Band'Round in the Wagons!'


Methodist Chapel2.jpg (64530 bytes)

Original Methodist Chapel, built 1808, 

with new chapel alongside (on left)


Methodist Church Re-Opening, 1952

(some names - click on picture)

Sunday School Anniversary, 1956

(click on picture for names)

Harvest Festival, 1920s

The first Methodist chapel, now the Methodist schoolroom (shown opposite), was built in 1808 in Corby Road. 

The larger present chapel, shown in the pencil drawing, was added alongside in 1878 with the opening service having taken place on April 13, 1879 as shown in the notice below.

The middle picture opposite was taken in 1952 at the re-opening of the Methodist Church following decoration.

There is also a  former congregational chapel in Main Street, Middleton, which has now been converted into a house. 


methodistdraw.jpg (24182 bytes)

New Methodist Chapel, built 1878

Drawing by Chris Owen




back to top of page